October 12, 2012

i edited my conversion story



k so i think this sounds better?

I met my very good friend Nicole at NAIT, where we were both in the Medical Transcription program. We became really close even though we were total opposites. She got engaged to Carter Peterson in October and invited me to their wedding in February. We all drove down to Raymond Alberta together, and during that 6 hour drive I asked them a few questions about the temple and getting sealed for eternity and why I couldn't go in and see them actually get married. They explain everything and I just left it at that and continue with my life.
A few weeks later Nicole and Carter invite me to go down south with them again so I can visit a friend I met at the wedding. During that glorious 6 hour car ride I ask them basically everything I can think of about Mormonism and the LDS church. Again, they explained everything really well and even drew me out a diagram of how the church is organized. It was amazing to hear about all these new things and just to learn about their faith.

So whenever I would hangout with the Peterson’s I would ask them more questions and really started to make them think. Nicole would always bring up the fact that I could ask the missionaries and they would be way more helpful that she was, but I was way too shy to even think of setting up any sort of meeting with strange boys from out of the country.
After I went to church with Nicole and Carter a few times, I asked Carter for a Book of Mormon. So in June I started reading the Book of Mormon; without my parents, or anyone besides Nicole and Carter knowing. I loved every verse of it.

At the end of July, Nicole passed a note to the missionaries in her ward at the time, Elder Basinger and Elder Bowles, asking them if they had a few minutes to talk to us after sacrament meeting. Of course they agreed. So before I could object, I had set up my first discussion with the missionaries! It was really nerve wracking because I had absolutely no idea what to expect. Everything went really well though and we became best friends! After a few lessons with them, they realized I didn't live in their ward boundaries, so they had to hand me off to Elder Albright and Elder Black, the missionaries in the YSA ward where I would be baptized in. I also became best friends with them. 

I really loved what the elders were teaching me and I found that I was already living most of the Words of Wisdom and following all the commandments along with other things. That was really exciting because realizing that was like: "oh it's not that big of a deal to not drink and do bad stuff anymore". So I continued to go to church, and make new friends, and attend FHE activities, and I just knew that converting was the right step for me! I prayed about it for a long time and the end of September really stood out to me, so on September 29, 2012, I was baptized as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

The decision wasn't an easy one though. My parents aren't supportive of me being a member. It has also been hard on me because I don't want them to feel like I'm doing this for the wrong reason or because I'm easily persuaded. It's hard being the only member in the house. But it is so worth it.

Realizing how long I've had the Holy Ghost guiding me is unreal. It’s so amazing to think that this has been Heavenly Father’s plan for me. I am so grateful for Nicole and Carter and my wonderful missionaries for teaching me and answering all my questions. I am also grateful for my parents lack of support. It has made me work so much harder to become a member. I feel more rewarded because I've had to work for this and put effort into sneaking out to go to church and hiding my Book of Mormon under my bed. I know this church is true and right and that Joseph Smith was a prophet and translated the Book of Mormon for us today, I am so grateful for this gospel and having it in my life. I say this in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment