October 12, 2012

i'm a convert... HA


OK HI. I figured since everyone (k like 3 people) asked, I will make a post about how I came to find The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
h o l l a this is going to be long and obnoxious

Alright so, I met Nicole in college (we both took Medical Transcription, and there were only 25 girls in the class, so we became friends really quickly, even though we were total opposites). She got engaged to Carter in October, and they were planning their wedding for February. SOOOO during that time we got kinda close and hung out a bit and I never really knew she was a Mormon, let alone what that actually was. Soooo one day I get a text from her asking for my address so she can send me a wedding invite! Haha so long story short, I go to her wedding. We drive down together (Nicole,  Carter and our other friend from school, Cylie). By this time I realize Nicole and Carter are Mormons and I think nothing of it, but I did ask a few questions as to why Cylie and I weren't allowed in the temple and just kinda left it. 

SOOOO FAST FORWARD TO MARCH: Nicole and Carter and I head back down south... 6 hour drive. I go and visit Reid and they see their fam. During that lovely car ride I just ask them basically everything I can think of about Mormonism and the LDS church and the different auxiliaries and how everything is set up and how the practice their faith etc. And I really like to learn things, so of course I was really interested (also Reid is a member and that's also kinda why I was super interested to begin with).

So whenever we hung out I would always ask more questions and really made them think haha they would bring up the fact that the missionaries could answer all of my questions but I was WAY too shy to ever even think of setting any sort of meeting up with them. So I just went to church with them a few times and eventually I asked Carter for a Book of Mormon (beginning of June) and I just pooower through it and really enjoy it.
Then at the end of July, one day at church the missionaries sat in front of Nicole and I, SO she writes them a little note asking them if they had a few minutes to talk to us after sacrament meeting, of course they agreed. SO before I could object, I had set up my first discussion with the missionaries in Nicole's ward! So it's pretty much history from there...

But those missionaries (Elder California and Elder Idaho) realized (after 3 lessons) that they couldn't teach me cause I didn't live within those ward boundaries... SOOO they passed me off to Elder Utah and Elder Nevada in the YSA ward, at first I really didn't like them, but since August I have started to grow very fond of them (actually we're best friends...) Hahaha they are such nerds and I blog about them a lot. Soo anyway, I really loved the lessons the elders taught me and I found that I was already living most of the Words of Wisdom and following all the commandments along with other things. I continued to go to church and the FHE activities and I just realized that converting was the right step for me. 

However, this decision (to be baptized and confirmed) was really difficult. My parents don't agree with me being a member. It's been hardest on my mom. She thinks she's failed me because she didn't force me to go to church when I was younger etc. I've felt that I was failing her because I just don't relate to the Catholic faith as much as I do with LDS. It's hard to explain, but I feel like having my parents be so opposed to this has made it more worth while. Like I feel more rewarded because I've had to work so hard to do this. And I know that this church is true and right and that Joseph Smith was a prophet and translated the Book of Mormon for us today. And I am so grateful for this gospel and it being in my life. 
K I think that's pretty much it.. 
Feel free to ask me any questions.. or to clarify anything. I'm horrible at writing. OK BYE :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment